2021 TACO TAKEDOWN
🥊 YOUR FAVORITE DOWNTOWN FOOD COMPETITION IS BACK 🥊
After the success of our Chicken Sandwich Snackdown & Burger Battle Royale, we decided we need a Round THREE! Enter…THE TACO TAKEDOWN.
Downtown restaurants will compete from August 15 – September 19 for the ultimate title: Taco Takedown Champion. And we need YOU to help us pick the winner.
Visit participating Downtown restaurants, try the tacos, and vote for the one you like best!
Interested in sponsoring a fighter? Email [email protected].
What’s on the menu
- Agave Cantina Downtown: Fish Taco: 3 fillets of Tilapia grilled or fried, your choice of soft or crispy taco brush with chipotle mayo topped with lettuce pico de gallo and jalapeños served with Spanish rice and refried beans
- Black Café: 2 Little Piggies: Tender seared pork, pickled jalapeno slaw, avocado, creamy jalapeno ranch or pepper jelly sauce
- Central Pizza: The Ancho Business: Ancho tomato sauce, mozzarella, al pastor marinated pork, radish, queso fresco, chipotle crema, cilantro, and pineapple
- Grocery Tavern & Delicatessen: Risk it for the Brisket: In-house 12 hour smoked brisket, prickly pear salsa, lime-cumin sour cream, pickled onion, fresh cilantro
- Handy Stop Market & Cafe: Taco-bout Healthy!: A nutrient-rich taco salad with a quinoa and edamame base, added taco fixings and topped with a special salsa
- Hideaway on Lee: Let’s Taco ’bout Love: We took our Mexicali love burger and turned it into a taco. Sautéed large gulf shrimp, house-made pico, avocado, secret sauce drizzle, served on white corn tortillas
- Johnson’s Boucaniere: Cuban Pulled Pork Taco: Johnson’s will start out cutting the Pork Shoulder into small slabs and will combine oregano, cumin, garlic, orange juice as well as other spices and herbs and other ingredients and braise for 8-10 hours to create our take on a Cuban pulled pork taco. We will top the tacos with diced onions and cilantro. We will also serve with a homemade Guasacaca Sauce inspired by Julieta Mesa (former owner of Gaumas).
- La Carreta: Quesabirria: Birria and cheese taco
- Luna Bar & Grill: Voodoo Tuna Tacos: Tuna, avocado, red cabbage, sliced jalapenos, cilantro, supernova sauce, Zapp’s voodoo chip crunch served on a blue corn tortilla
- Pamplona Tapas: The Handsome Taco: Zaatar braised lamb with tzatziki, cojita, pickled onions, and dill
- Pat’s Downtown: Taco Salad: Coming Soon
- Pop’s Poboys: HOT HOT TACO: Nashville style HOT fried chicken, dill pickles, green onion buttermilk ranch, crunchy corn tortilla shell!
- Reve Coffee Roasters: Rêveggie Taco: chipotle roasted sweet potatoes, Parish Rêve Coffee Stout stewed black beans, roasted corn, sliced red onion and fennel, and avocado lime crema on a flour tortilla
- Spoonbill Watering Hole: Chorizo Migas Tacos: Chorizo Migas (eggs scrambled with Chorizo and crispy tortillas) and avocado on corn tortillas with achiote sauce.
- Tsunami: Asian Birria Bao Buns: shredded pork shoulder braised in a Vietnamese-inspired spicy soup broth served on toasted bao buns topped with mint, Thai basil, green onions, cilantro, and pickled red onions with a side of spicy soup broth for birria style dipping. Inspired by two Vietnamese dishes; Bun Bo Hue (pronounced Bun Baw Hugh) and Bo Kho (pronounced (Baw Kaw). These two dishes traditionally call for beef, but we are using pork shoulder rather than beef as the featured protein.
- Tula Tacos & Amigos: Towanda Taco: fried Green Tomatoes on Ruth’s Ranch Cabbage, topped with Salsa Verde, Queso Fresco & Cilantro